Saturday 11 February 2012

Life Changer

For a long time now I have had  frequent discussions that have been both detailed and heated at times with peers and fellow students about certain beliefs and philosophies, and now I think it is time that I write these conversations and thoughts down to hopefully educate and inspire others. If I can do this to just one person then my job is done.

I have decided that the first entry into my 'diary' shall be a quote that can apply to absolutely anyone in any field of work, by a man who has played a huge part in my way of thinking in recent times. That man is Ricky Gervais, obviously. Ricky has enjoyed a huge rise to fame in the last decade off the back of hugely successful shows including The Office, Extras, Life's Too Short, and of course, The Ricky Gervais Show. Despite this, I have only started enjoying and admiring his work for the last year or so, but boy has it been a hell of a year.

He has opened my eyes up to the world for what it really is. Before I went to University I was possibly the most close-minded individual one could meet. Back then I would argue this fact but I am now the first one to admit it. I had everything planned out in front of: what I was going to do as a profession, what music I would listen to and even what age I would retire at and where (Miami).

The ten-word quote is, amid many of Ricky Gervais' works, the most true and applicable of all. ''If you love your work, then you'll never work again''. For me, this has set my vision and outlook straight. It has given me a new lease of life. It has lifted that monkey off my back and it has allowed me to be more creative and move away from the black and white future I was faced with eighteen months ago. 

Take what you want from this, if anything at all, but what it has taught me is that whatever I do in life, work or personal related, "just enjoy it".

I like Twitter @DanOverboardNJ

No comments:

Post a Comment