Tuesday 21 February 2012

Winning the Lottery Would Change Everything, Wouldn't It?

After finishing my last blog 'One Step at a Time, One Foot In Front of the Other', another quote quickly came to me. This time it was one I thought up myself and is classed as a credited one if I may say so myself (we'll see).

You may recall from my last blog I said that in order to be happy in what you do, you should take the time to find out exactly what it is you want to do instead of doing everything at once. Well this made me think about that journey we will all endeavor and that end goal we all have in sight. It made me think that our personal fulfillment at the end of the journey would only be reached if the journey itself was enjoyable.

I, like many others, ask this question often: ''Can you imagine if I won the lottery''? Well no, I can't imagine actually, and I'm not sure that I want to either. This may sound a little bizarre at first, but where is the satisfaction in just being given a million pounds? Wouldn't that feel a bit of a let down to know you haven't worked or achieved anything in order to do so? Maybe that's where we go our separate ways in terms of philosophies, but I can quite adamantly say that I would rather bust a gut and enjoy a journey before I became rich.

I suppose ''Life's not about what you achieve, it's about how you achieve it'' can be applied to most, if not all, life circumstances. We've discussed the lottery situation, but what about something as simple as getting a job? Is it better to get a job by 'knowing a friend of a friend'? Or is it better to land a job knowing that you have got that job on merit, through hard work and constancy and are the best candidate for that job? Don't get me wrong, receiving a job through someone else is not a bad thing and that is not what I am saying, but it sure does feel better if you do it on your own.

All of this has made me think and realise that, it is all about the journey we will undertake and I guess the real question you have to ask at the end of it all is 'would I change anything'? If you can honestly answer that question with no, then nothing else matters.

I am on Twitter @DanOverboardNJ

No comments:

Post a Comment