Saturday 18 February 2012

One Step At A Time, One Foot In Front Of The Other

For my second entry I would like to follow on from my first, 'Life Changer', where I dissected a quote from Ricky Gervais. That quote being ''If you love your work, then you'll never work again''. You could call this 'Life Changer - Part 2' (but don't).

In 'Part 1' I recalled on myself being ready to live a life after graduation that was set in stone, even going as far as knowing when and where I would retire. As pleased as I am to know that I am in the transition of seeing the bigger picture in terms of a career, it has opened up a whole new can of worms as to what I actually want to get out of my life.

What will I do as a career? How will I earn money? Am I too good to work for someone else? Those are just some of the endless questions circulating in my thoughts and have been for quite a while now. I cannot answer these questions just yet, partly because I do not know the answers but I think it goes a level deeper than that. Now that I am realising my true freedom and potential, I am struggling to find out how I will become happy in doing what I want to do. It boils down to having so many options now that I don't what or where to start first.

And for good reason. There are simply so many things I want to experience, milestones I want to accomplish and endless places I intend on visiting. I have found it hard to accept the reality of not being able to do these things right now. Not only because I do not have the resources to do so, but for the fact that I wouldn't be able to truly enjoy everything if I was doing it all at once. I have tried that method over the last six months and have got nowhere. It has all been a bit of a blur.

I guess what I am trying to say is that in order to find that thing I want to do, that place I want to visit, that career I want to pursue, I'm going to have to do it one step at a time. A nice quote to finish on then that I think is relative to anyone and is from a song from a band I haven't given much time lyrically to, but actually talk sense. It goes ''One step at a time, one foot in front of the other''. What I take from this is that there simply is no short way round and even if there was, that would be cheating. Where's the fun in that?

Until next time, have a think about what it is you actually want to do and how you plan on doing it. I know I will be.

Twitter is cool @DanOverboardNJ

No comments:

Post a Comment